Targa Tasmania officials take action after fourth death in two years – Yahoo Sport Australia
Targa Tasmania officials have defended the event’s safety after the death of a fourth competitor in the last 2 yrs, insisting the particular rally car race does have a future.
A 59-year-old Brisbane man died on Wednesday when the vehicle he was driving crashed 20 metres down the steep embankment at Mount Roland in the state’s north-west.
‘NO QUESTION’: Lewis Hamilton’s shock announcement amid F1 woes
‘SHOULDN’T HAPPEN’: Daniel Ricciardo ripped for ’embarrassing’ act
His wife, who was his passenger and navigator in the car, walked away from the particular crash and was taken to hospital for observation.
The tragic crash was the fourth dying within the annual event in the last 2 years after three competitors were killed in 2021.
On Thursday, officials downgraded the six-day race to a non-competitive event – meaning drivers are bound to follow marked speed limits.
The race is due to finish in Hobart on Sunday.
Motorsport Australia director Michael Smith told reporters on Thursday that the race might become non-competitive within future years too.
“I think it’s too early to say that will there’s no future for Targa. It might look different, ” Smith said.
“That’s certainly part of the thinking. That’s a discussion we’ll have. Again, I just think it can too early.
“Not knowing the circumstances of the incident, it’s probably too soon with regard to us in order to comment with any certainty on that at the particular moment. ”
Targa Sydney boss Mark Perry said the decision to put a line through the competitive part of the event was the difficult one, but necessary so the crash could be fully investigated.
He described the man’s loss of life during the 30th running associated with the rally as “shattering”.
Perry stated the man, whose name has not been released by police, was a regular competitor.
The particular man and his wife had been in the particular final stage from the event’s second day and were one of the last few cars on course.
“It’s a long-term phase for us, not new, is actually not unfamiliar to any of the competitors, particularly this crew. They’ve done many events along with us before, ” Perry said.
Targa Tasmania connected by 4th death in two many years
Tasmania Police crash investigators will obtain more information from the scene on Thurs.
Inspector Darren Hopkins mentioned the road was wet but it wasn’t raining at the time of the crash, adding a medical condition couldn’t be ruled out as the cause.
A rally safe device, which contains intel about the particular car’s speed, has yet to be recovered from the vehicle.
Shane Navin, Leigh Mundy and Dennis Neagle lost their lives in crashes during final year’s Targa Tasmania, prompting an investigatory tribunal to be established.
It made 23 recommendations for future tarmac rallies, including speed limitations, altering stages year-by-year to avoid complacency and a tiered licensing system.
Seventeen of those recommendations possess been adopted by move organisers, with six the responsibility of Motorsport Australia in order to implement.
There have now been six deaths within the 30-year history of the Tasmanian event.
The worst news. Such a sudden loss regarding everyone who loves them.
— Helen Earth (@helenshield) April 27, 2022
Long overdue and sad that it took another tragedy intended for the change.
— prigby (@PaulPrigby) April 27, 2022
why is Targa still a thing? it’s disruptive, unecessary and utterly tragic for everyone involved when there is the death
— Pippa (@Pippavs) April twenty-seven, 2022
Danger is a fundamental part associated with motorsport, this will forever be there, but should absolutely be mitigated at any and every opportunity. Tough decisions have got to become made, plus questions asked, first among those today is ‘should Targa Tasmania continue? ‘ For me, no .
— Mat Coch (@matcoch) 04 27, 2022
Click here to sign up to our newsletter to get all the latest and breaking stories from Quotes and around the world.